Jeff and David discuss the EQ: Which comes first, shifted practices or 1:1 laptop program?
We had technical problems again and were not able to record the podcast. It was excellent so do take a look at the show notes for some of the discussion.
Where Do You Start the Shift?
Some take aways from the discussion:
- Need leaders and owners of the process that needs to be systematic
- Using the curriculum review process to change instructional and assessments for shifted learning goals
- Bring whole community of teachers, student, parents and administrators into the process with various point people bring them in
- Shift everywhere- organic growth by supporting early adopters to administrators needing to lead the way
- Review mission/vision statements. Times have changed and so do definitions and how they fit with our changing world (e.g., multiculturalism)
Blog Posts of the Week
David: Dennis Harter’s Bridging the Gap
Tom: Multi-touch Desk
- Next show is Thursday October 30 at 7 PM Bangkok time.
- Our guest will be ????
- Essential Question for the show: How to infuse information literacy skills across the curriculum?
- Don’t forget to post Web sites/blogs to the SOS Diigo bookmarking site that support our upcoming EQ.
Note: Technical difficulties prevented the recording and subsequent posting of this podcast. We will get it right next podcast with quadruple flux capacitator backup procedures. 🙂
What Were the Big Picture and Practical Classroom “take aways” from the Learning 2.008 Conference?
Some take aways from the discussion>
- The need to prepare teachers for progressive conferences like Learning 2.008. Scaffold the process so they will take time for the networking, unconferencing and reflection portions of conferences like Learning 2.008.
- Look to have regular presentation sessions that lead out into and scaffold into unconference sessions
- Look to shift our regular presentations in the way we organize the rooms and work to make them more discussion focused
- Need to differentiate for the “shiftedness” continuum of the participants
- Jan 24-26 Flat Classroom Conference in Qatar
Blog Posts of the Week
David> GenTech podcast by Steve Whitaker, Mark Hofer and Michael Kelly
Jeff> Video by Chris Lehmann | Connectivism Blog by George Siemens
Kim> Slideshow of Brain Rules for Presenters
Julie> The Educational Technology Site by Terry Friedman